Our Mission: to Educate & to Preserve
How the Conyngham Valley Historical Society Began
A group of people banded together as a Centenial Committee to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Conyngham’s incorporation as a borough.
Interest in valley history stemmed from a presentation of local artifacts which were a part of a display to celebrate the 100th anniversary.
Interest grew and citizens expressed a desire to form a Historical Committee; thus the name was changed from Centennial Committee to Historical Committee.
In 2003, Ruth Reisenweaver approached the committee with an offer to purchase the old Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) building to be used for a museum. Realizing the Society was in its infancy, she later decided to donate the building from The Robert Reisenweaver Family in honor of Margaret Fink.
After a lot of hard work by many volunteers and very generous contribution from the Gould and Cara families, the doors were opened for a Grand Opening on July 30, 2005.
History of the IOOF Building
The IOOF, Lodge 308, was initiated on the 13th of December, 1848. The building, located next to the Union Cemetery, was donated to the group by Jacob Drumheller. For many decades the first floor was used as a social hall and the second floor was the meeting room of the Odd Fellows and the women’s auxiliary, the Rebekahs.
Through the years, the first floor of the building served many purposes, including a sewing factory and lastly, a storage facility for furniture at the time of the Society’s takeover in 2005.
Ms. Mary Mc Cutchen, first to enter building. Photo is that of Margaret Fink, in whose honor building was donated by Reisenweaver family. Margaret is sister of Mary McCutchen.
Mayor Conrad Wittig addressing audience at opening day ceremony, July 30,2005.
Our sign that hangs outside the CVHS building.